Shipping & Insurance Rates
USPS rate hikes have been frequent. The prices listed below are recently updated but may not be current. Please visit https://www.usps.com/ for accurate shipping, insurance, and adult signature costs.
USPS Flat Rate Priority
Flat Rate Priority to Alaska is about half the cost of Standard Priority. Most handguns will fit in a Medium Flat Rate box, even in a factory pistol case, but you don’t need the case — you need the gun. Bubble wrap your gun, and it may fit in a Small Flat Rate box. You can put more than one bubble-wrapped gun in a package as well. With or without the case, the goal is to fit what you have in one of the five USPS Flate Rate boxes.
- Small Flat Rate Box – 5-3/8″ x 8-5/8″ x 1-5/8 – $10.40
- Medium Flat Rate Box – 11″ x 8-1/2″ x 5-1/2 or 13-5/8″ x 11-7/8″ x 3-3/8″ – $17.05
- Large Flat Rate Box – 23-11/16″ x 11-3/4″ x 3″ or 12 1/4″ x 12 1/4″ x 6″ – $22.45
USPS Priority (Non-Flat Rate)
Long guns and bundled parcels too large to fit in Flat Rate boxes must be calculated by weight and package dimensions. Long guns do not require a second FFL. All packages containing firearms must include Adult Signature. Other firearms shippers may not know this, but you should insist on Adult Signature. We also recommend insurance. We have never lost a gun, but insurance will give you peace of mind.
Adult Signature — required — $9.35
USPS Priority Insurance Rates can be calculated here: Domestic Insurance. Scroll about halfway down the page to “Domestic—Extra Services and Fees.” It’s a government site, so expect an ever-changing over-abundance of excessive data and information burying the tiny scrap of numbers you seek. They may do this to confuse the public, but their people seem equally confused, so I’m not so sure. It is probably the nature of the beast.
- Note: insuring an item over a cardinal amount is charged the next higher rate.
- For example, packages insured for $101 will cost the same as the rate for $200 insurance.
- Insuring for $650 costs the same as $700, so you may as well go for the higher amount.